The Ministry has three professional Departments (1-3) and four service Departments (4-7)
- Education and Youth Development (EYD)
- Enterprises Development and Promotion (EDP)
- Network and Social Mobilization (NSM)
- Human Resources Management (HRM)
- Planning Monitoring and Information Technology (PMI)
- Finance and Account (F&A)
- Procurement (Proc)
EDUCATION AND YOUTH DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT (EYD): The Department of Education and Youth Development (EYD) is mandated to conduct training for Youth Development Officers in all the States of the Federation; provide Youth Work Training at Certificate, Diploma, Degree and Post Graduate level; undertake Youth Work Education and training programmes in partnership with National and other International institutions which are involved in similar activities; encourage professional development of Youth Workers, and Training of the Trainers (TOT). The Department coordinates the running of Commonwealth Youth Programme (CYP) Diploma course in Nigeria in collaboration with University of Abuja, and the various National Youth Development Centers in the Country among other functions that hinge on research and the conduct of short courses.
This department has two main divisions:
- Youth Centers and Camps (YCC)
- Youth Education and Training (YET)
ENTERPRISE, DEVELOPMENT & PROMOTION DEPARTMENT (EDP): Planning, implementation and evaluating Youth Empowerment Programmes at the national level; Coordinating the activities of Ministries, Department and Agencies (MDAs) involved in Youth Empowerment; Liaising with Development Partners, Corporate Organizations in Delivering Youth empowerment programmes and projects; and Advising on the formulation, implementation and reviews of policies, Projects and programmes on youth empowerment matters.
This department has three main divisions:
- Enterprise Development Division
- Vocational Skills & Training Division
- Youth-in-Agriculture division
THE NETWORK AND SOCIAL MOBILIZATION DEPARTMENT (NSM): The Department is responsible for designing programmes that enhance youth voice, create opportunities and prepare youth for jobs, and promote values/Leadership development through the active involvement and participation of young people in programmes such as:
- The Nigerian Youth Parliament
- Capacity Building for Leaders of youth bodies and youth NGOs
- Peace Building and Conflict Resolution programmes for in and out of school youths, Community youth leaders and heads of youth NGOs Leadership/Mentoring/ Re-orientation programmes
- Local and International Youth Exchanges programmes
- Holiday Camping
- Programmes on Drug Abuse, Youth Trafficking and Prostitution in collaboration with relevant agencies of government who have the mandate for such programmes
- Youth Rights and Governance
- Mobilization of youths for participation in both local and international functions and establishment of partnership with both local and international youth NGOs, Development Partners and other relevant stakeholders in youth development.
This department has three main divisions:
- Social Mobilization; and
- Rights & Leadership
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (HRM): The Human Resources Department as in other MDAs is saddled with the responsibility of Staff Development and Welfare. There are two Divisions in the Department, viz:
- Appointment, Promotion and Discipline; and
- Training and Staff Welfare.
These Divisions operate in consonance with extant rules as contained in the Statute Books, Circulars, Official Gazettes, Guidelines, etc. The Ministry of Youth Development has 525 staff strength as at November, 2014. This consists of the Hon. Minister, the Permanent Secretary, 36 Directorate level Officers, 428 Senior Officers and 59 Junior Staff. The major proportions of the Senior Management Cadres are pool officers from the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF) and Office of the Accountant General of the Federation (OAGF). In all, we have 162 non-pool senior officers. (Please see the break down cadre by cadre below).
PLANNING, MONITORING & INFORMATION MANAGEMENT (PMI): PMI is one of the common services Department in the ministry namely: Planning, Monitoring & Information management. Hence, Information management is further broken down into 3 Units which include ICT, Research & Statistics and Library. its responsibility includes but not limited to the following:
- Preparation of the national rolling plan for the ministry.
- Coordination/Preparation and hosting of the annual National youth development council meetings.
- Coordinating periodic evaluations and monitoring of the ministry programs.
- Prepares National Youth development Index
- Advise on general planning administration matters.
- Collaboration with FEPAR on mapping programmes and initiatives for reducing Youth Unemployment.
- Liaising with Parastatals, Partners and other MDA’s on behalf of the ministry.
- Preparation of Hon. Minister’s regular Federal Executive Council briefings on the ministries activities.
- Collaborate with African Union volunteers Corps
- Monitoring of all projects of the youth centers nation-wide.
- Co-ordinate the sensitization workshop of monitoring and evaluation.
- Preparation, collation and submission of scorecard.
- Monitors NYSC batches A,B and C
- Implementation and review of the National Youth Policy
- Establishment of National Youth Development fund
PROCUREMENT DEPARTMENT: The Department is responsible for preparation, implementation/coordination of all tender process as stipulated by the PPA 2007 which includes the following activities:-
- Proposing Procurement Planning Committee members as laid down in the 2007 Public
- Procurement plan at the beginning of every financial year;
- Preparation of bid documents and memoranda on projects;
- Advertisement for contractor’s pre-qualification and financial bidding;
- Covering of Procurement Planning Committee (PPC) and Ministerial Tender Board (MTB) meetings;
- Processing of letters of invitation for tenders for the MTB;
- Conveyance of contract award approvals to successful bidders;
- Preparation for annual reports on tenders;
- Preparation/coordination of monitoring and evaluation of projects and ensuring compliance with 2007 Procurement Act; and
- Secretariat for Ministerial Tender Board.
FINANCE AND ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT: The Finance and Accounts Department is one of the services Departments of the Ministry as is the case in the Federal Civil Service. Statutorily, the Department is responsible for handling the Revenue and Expenditure activities of the Ministry as well as the preparation of its annual Budgets. In carrying out these duties, the Department is to ensure that full accounts are maintained for all financial transactions and that laid down policies, procedures and processes, as contained in the Financial Regulations PSR, and Extant Circulars, are adhered to.